One Block At A Time homes will be built on a plan that
will coincide with the typical housing in Haiti in terms of
size, material, and style. When finances allow a
OBAAT house will consist of 3 rooms. It will have a
cement slab floor, a tin roof, cement block walls, and a
small patio area. Most houses will not have electricity
or running water due to the lack of availability.
- The families must prove ownership of the land or
land will be purchased for them (if funds
available) and they must be committed to not
selling the house for 5 years.
- If physically able, the family must provide material
(water, sand, rocks, gravel) and labor to build
- Families with small children are given priority.
- Elderly and handicapped people are given
- Families with major losses (flooding, hurricane)
will be given priority.
Projects Obaat is working on
- In Plaisance, a village between Cap Haitien
and Gonaives, the local parish has land to build
on. We estimate between 35- 50 homes can
be built there. Plans are being made to
construct not only a house but a village. This
would include drilling a well so the village would
have fresh water. We are also planning a
community playground area.
- Obaat is working with the village of Fonds-
Forrettes which is located in the southeast
portion of Haiti, close to the Republic of
Dominica. This area has been extremely hit by
flooding in the last several years. We are
working with the government to acquire land to
- As final plans come together I will post them on
the construction site.